9.18.2012

Pregnancy has finally caught up to me

Week 32

I just made it home from a long day at work and a quick stop at the grocery store.  John is out of town so I have to fend for myself this week.  Here's what I bought:
  • Spicy guacamole
  • Salt and Vinegar Chips
  • Apple Jacks
  • Cream Soda
  • Milk
Yup.  I'm that pregnant lady.

In the last week or so, I've really noticed that I'm slowing down and everyday tasks are getting harder.  I suppose it was only a matter of time but it's hard nonetheless.  This weekend was the biggest blow.

My doctor cleared me to run as long as I'm not having contractions.  This weekend I went out for an easy 60 min jog and at mile 2.25, I started having a Braxton-Hicks contraction.  I stopped until it passed then I walked for half a mile.  I assumed it was just a fluke, so after my heart rate lowered, I decided to try running again.  I made it less than a quarter mile before another contraction.

Damn it.  I stopped and started walking toward home.  I've had Braxton-Hicks before, but not two in a row and not while running.  I was a little nervous.  Then I had a third.  I finished my water bottle and leaned against a tree.  This isn't good and I'm still a mile from home.  I couldn't remember if it was 4 contractions in an hour or 6 in an hour and you're supposed to call a doctor.  Luckily, I made it home without another one. 

Braxton-Hicks contractions don't hurt but they're annoying.  It's hard to bend at the waist and running was almost impossible to run since it pulled all the ligaments tight.  I've had them before and I always feel exhausted on days I get them.

I was tired and crabby all day.  Most importantly, it isn't good to have contractions close together at 31 weeks.  But even after they passed and I was feeling better, I was still upset.  I may try another slow run this weekend but if I have even one more contraction, I have to stop running.  It's not worth putting OP in any danger. 

But if I have to stop running, I'm going to have to find something to do for exercise and stress relief.  I know it's a small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things, but it was one of the few things I was holding on to.  It feels like it's all elastic waisted pants, heartburn and forgetfulness from now until OP arrives.  I know, I know, it's all worth it in the end.  But it seems like the end is still a long way off.

No comments: