2.06.2011

Overwhelmed

This is a good illustration of how I'm feeling these days. Work has been crazy busy and this stupid exam has already started keeping me up at night. I had a 12-hour review course last weekend and I spent most of yesterday studying. I have another 12 hours of class next weekend, too. My plan today was more studying. But then I woke up and somewhere between making eggs for breakfast and putting away laundry, I realized that between work and studying, my brain hasn't had a day off since Jan 8. If my brain reacts at all like my body, then it definitely deserves a rest day.

You know you're a little overwhelmed when doing laundry and dishes is an appealing weekend activity. I feel a little guilty for not hitting the books today, but I also know that I'm much more efficient and productive after a little rest. I've also noticed that when I focus this much energy into work and studying, that I can't focus on other things. Halfway into a conversation with John, I'll realize I have no idea what he's talking about. Or at work, I forget the second half of a list of things to do. Or I'll stop at Wal-Mart for something I absolutely needed and then forget what it was. When someone asks me where we should go to get lunch, I can't make a decision. Yesterday, I officially registered for 8 hours of the 16 hour exam and then immediately started having dooms-day-type thoughts. I'm not a forgetful person, so when I start misplacing things like my keys, then I know I'm in over my head.

So instead of working through sample problems and summarizing all of the important geotechnical and foundations-related equations, I went for a 6.2 mile trail run with some friends. I'm going to do a little more laundry, and I might even throw a nap in before the big game. The only numbers I looked at today were time and distance on my Garmin, and I'm OK with that.

2 comments:

Christi said...

You have made the right decision! Have a great rest day and then kick butt tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

It was great running with you! I'm excited about the new Sunday run. It's good to get to see the KC folks more often.