2.16.2011

Bald for a Cause


Well, the cat's out of the bag. My best friend and regular running partner, KM, was diagnosed with breast cancer back at Thanksgiving. She has been undergoing treatment since then and started chemo last week. Healthy, 30, no family history, no risk factors, nothing. This is total crap.
There is no way to describe the helplessness that goes along with watching someone you care about go through cancer. And besides that, she had already registered for Boston and is now training while going through chemo. All of you athletes should appreciate how extra crappy that is. Yet no matter how much I hate the waiting and questioning and uneasiness about not knowing what comes next, I know whatever KM is going through is worse. I wish I were a cancer-curing genius. But I'm not.
The point behind this post: KM will be losing her hair soon and she didn't really have any say in the matter. So the least I can do is support her by shaving my head. But I'm only going to shave it for $1000 in donations for KM. And to make it even more interesting, as soon as we reach $1000, I will dye my hair pink and keep it pink until it's gone. Thankfully, I have compassionate bosses.
If you want to donate, just contact me. There will be pictures, I promise.


4 comments:

Christi said...

Wow, I am so sorry for your friend. I am sending my prayers her way.

So how do I donate?

Sam said...

Christi, that would be awesome!

Send me an email at run_sam_run@rocketmail.com
and I'll send you the info. For obvious reasons, I don't want to post my address here.

It looks like I'll have pink hair sooner rather than later!

Kelly said...

Did I tell you I love you...cause I do!

Unknown said...

Let me know when you get close b/c The Local Buzz and I clearly have some to donate and it's adding up every day! I am so proud to have you as a friend. Can't wait to see the pink!!!