12.12.2008

Certifibly Psycho


Today I registered for my first ultramarathon, the Psycho Wyco, hosted by none other than everyone's favorite Nerd, Bad Ben himself. The race is aptly named, of course. It's a 50k at my favorite park here in Kansas City. If you're thinking about it, I would sign up soon. It's been capped at 250 entrants and I bet it will sell out.
I wanted to run this last year (the 10 mile version) since it was on my birthday but John thought I was nuts. Now, he has an ultra under his belt and we're both signed up for the 50k. Funny how things like that change.
Here's the truth: this race scares the hell out of me. I've never done a marathon, let alone an ultra. I know Wyco park and it is not an easy place to run, even if it is in Kansas. And I suck at running. I like to say I'm a mid-pack runner, and that may be true, but I'm horribly slow and if I'm in the mid-pack it's only because everyone else is horribly slow, too. It's like saying "I'm healthier than the average American" - the bar is set so low it doesn't really mean anything.
Tomorrow is the Alternate Chili Run out at Wyco and I think it will be a good way to gauge where I am right now. It's a 10 mile fun run that is on the Psycho Wyco course. There are some sections I've never run on, so that will be fun to see the rest of the park. I wish I had a dog to run with. I'd love a permanent running partner, but my pace and John's don't work well together and I would prefer someone who was silent. I know there is a husky rescue close... This could be trouble.

No comments: