11.19.2008

Stolen Day


It is absolutely gorgeous outside today and I plan to take full advantage of it! Growing up in WI, a mid-November day in the 60s was almost unheard of. It's not the norm here, but much more common. And while it makes it difficult to concentrate on work, sitting at my desk and staring out the window, I am really looking forward to my run tonight. Whenever I know the weather is going to be nice now, I make it a point to get outside for a run.


On the schedule tonight is 2 laps around the airport (about 7.5 miles total). First lap easy, 9-10 min/mile pace, second lap negative split. I'm hoping to hit 8:30-8:45 min/mile on the last lap. I won't go to hard, I like to feel fresh for my Thursday night run with the Nerds. But then again, it's much harder to run "fast" on technical trails so I usually go harder on the pavement than I intend.


I have found a trail marathon to do! It's outside of Phoenix the weekend that my company is taking us to Phoenix, so the timing works well. I'm sure John and I will both like a warm weather run in January. So now my winter schedule is:

Dec 13th - 10 mile Alternate Chili Run

Jan 2th - Caves Creek trail Marathon (AZ)

Feb 14th - Psycho Wyco 50k


I'll probably take a week off after the 50k and then really start to hit it hard for triathlon season. Which reminds me I need to join a pool. I'm hoping to finalize all my races over Christmas and get signed up before Jan 1 (where possible).


On a different note, I found a great new doc. He was an engineer and he runs (6:34 pace for the Trolley Trot. Yes, I'm a stalker). He's general practice but is board certified in sports medicine as well. Turns out that having low blood glucose is not something to be ignored. They took 4 vials of blood yesterday to run a full blood panel. I should know more next week. But until I'm told otherwise, I'm going to keep on training. I feel fine, other than the occasional rough run. But who doesn't have those?


I have decided that this is a good wake-up call for better nutrition. I use the "I exercise" excuse for eating whatever I want, in moderation. But moderation doesn't seem to be working. So I'm going to try to cut out french fries all together, eating out as much, and no more Friday morning bakery stops. I'm also going to cut back to 2 or less drinks per occasion. It's not that I eat a lot of junk or drink that much, but my genetics have clearly shown that I don't have any wiggle room when it comes to food. If there is such a thing as the obesity gene, I definitely have it and I have to do more to keep it in check.


No comments: