11.11.2008

Home Sweet Home

After five days of travelling, it is good to be home. I did manage a short run while in WI. It was 34 degrees and raining but I still enjoyed it. I love winter running. As Bill Bowerman said, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just soft people." That's the only way I manage to kick my butt out the door some winter days.

When I got home this afternoon, I sorted through the mail and found the results from my insurance physical. I skimmed through most of it - I'm well aware of my height, weight and blood pressure. Check, check, and check. Negative on the nicotine, cocaine, and HIV. Big surprises. What was a surprise was my blood glucose was low, outside the normal levels. Now that was odd.

I remember my pulse being elevated that morning. Resting HR was 66 when measured around 8 am. I had shredded wheat and green tea for breakfast, with the usual morning grogginess solved with the usual morning coffee.

So I did what anyone would do, I did some research. I wouldn't even be concerned except my family is predisposed for diabetes. I called my mom to see if she's recently had her blood sugar levels measured. In fact she had, but her doc is concerned with it being too high, same for my grandma, who has been diagnosed with Type II. They both have been instructed that below 100 mg/dL is where they need to be. Mine was 60 while 70 is the lower bounds for normal. Diabetes doesn't make sense considering my age, weight, and lifestyle anyway. Ok.

Next I hit up the Internet. I hadn't fasted prior to the blood work, or exercised that morning. This was before I started my training plan for the 50k, so it wasn't from increased activity. I was actually coming off a week of rest. I really don't know the cause. I guess now that my new insurance is in effect, I should go in for a physical and take my test results with. Looking at the last few weeks starting with my awful run on October 2, low blood sugar would explain the headaches, light headedness, fatigue, and the general off-feeling I have had.

So that's it. I have nothing more but questions, and until I find a dr. and have my blood checked again, I won't have any answers. But if anyone has had similar experiences or advice, I'm all ears.

No comments: