10.11.2011

Running Mantras

Besides my speedy new kicks, I've fallen into using running mantras on my tough speed sessions and as corny as it sounds, I think it makes a big difference.  The more I do quality rides and runs, the more I find my inner dialogue sounding like a cheerleader.  I think I miss running regularly with Kelly more than I'll admit.  She's usually the cheerleader while I'm huffing and puffing half a block back.

But based on the success of my last few speed work sessions, I would say the positive thinking is working.  Since it works so well for me, I thought I'd share a few of my favorites. Some have been stolen from magazines, TV sports coverage and other runners.  I don't have any swimming mantras, probably because if I stop concentrating, I'll loose track of what lap I'm on.  Do you have any great mantras that get you through tough places?

Biking:
Do the job at hand.
Girl's got game.
Time to work.
Dig in.
Push it, push it, push it.
Engine's running, pistons' pumping.


Running:
I. AM. STRONG.
I will not give up.
The faster I run, the sooner I'm done.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Quick steps, light feet.
This is where it counts.
Quicker, faster, stronger.

And when things are really falling apart and all I can think about is finishing my work out, then my mantras usually turn to food:
Bison burger and sweet potato fries, sweet potato fries
Pizza, pizza, pizza
Chicken pad thai

And if all else fails:  B double E double R, U N, beer run, beer run!

1 comment:

Christi said...

My mantra is "Suck it up, cupcake!" That one has always worked for me. Of course, most of the time food and beer is what really works for me.