8.09.2012

Penguins!

Week 15

The cat is out of the bag and everyone seems excited, except for my parents.  They are still asking about when we'll get results and I know they're worried for us.  I felt so bad that they couldn't just be happy.  That has to be a terrible feeling, to have your daughter call from hundreds of miles away, completely distraught and not be able to do anything.  I tried to reassure them and I promised I would call as soon as we had actual answers. I didn't want to dwell on it and I didn't want them to, either.

We had more than a few people say they were surprised we're having a kid.  I don't take it personally.  But I can reassure you, the Peanut was completely planned.  We talked a long time about kids and I did a little bit of negotiating (jewelry, personal trainer, and a puppy for all my hard work) before we decided to take the plunge.  We didn't talk about it with anyone else because we know far too many people that have had miscarriages or fertility issues and we wanted to keep this private, just in case things didn't work out.  We always said "when and if" when people asked so they wouldn't ask for details.  My heart breaks for couples that have to go through a miscarriage or just have a hard time conceiving.  Especially when you see all the bad parents in Wal-Mart.  It's not fair, it really isn't.  I just couldn't imagine going through that in public. 

In the mean time...

John and I kind of have a thing for penguins.  And monkeys.  You really can't go wrong with either one.  It's always a challenge to see who can find the best birthday and anniversary cards with penguin or monkey themes.  If we could have a penguin and a monkey as pets, we would.

I thought penguins would be easier to sew than monkeys.  Then I started cutting and piecing and realized 1 giant penguin would have been easier.  I chose a dozen little ones.  But I did manage to get one entire block put together.  I spent a good hour or so practicing the eyes because they were tricky.  I should have probably picked something with large geometric shapes and straight lines for my first applique quilt.

It ain't perfect by any means, but here's one penguin.

One down, 11 to go!
The penguin blanket is doing the trick - I'm having fun teaching myself how to sew and it is a good distraction, especially since I'm not spending 2-4 hours a weekend day training.  It's amazing how much free time I have with my "long" workout of the week being 1 hour.  Then again, my weekend naps are about 2-4 hours, so really my free time is probably a wash.  Hey, it's hard work growing a tiny human!

No comments: