1.04.2012

Baby Steps

The new year is here and in my corner of the world, 2011 quietly slipped out the door and 2012 slid in without much fanfare.  Maybe it's a sign that I'm getting old, but I enjoyed a quiet New Year's Eve and I'm only slightly embarrassed (but not much) that we were in bed before 11.

I made it through New Year's Eve and the celebration of two new births in our neighborhood without a beer.  I think the hard part is over for my 45-Day Beer Free Challenge.  From here until my birthday, it should be smooth sailing.  Salads and veggies were easy.  Actually, my diet has been my only saving grace lately.  Working out 5 days a week?  Not so much.  Ah well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad, right?

But I think I'm finally moving in the right direction.  Baby steps.  I have gotten to the point I would like to find a race to sign up for this year.  The problem?  Nothing sounds fun or exciting.  I just don't really care.  I don't remember the last time I was on my bike.  After a mile or two of running I'm bored.  I don't want to wear my Garmin because I'll be depressed at how slow I am but if I don't wear it, then I have no idea how long or fast I'm running and that seems pointless.  I can't seem to shake this funk.

Enough with the pity party already.  This is stupid and I clearly need to do something so I signed up for a 5k in March.  Baby steps.  It's just a small local race that cost me $22.70 with internet processing fees.  I found an 8 week training plan which I'll start at the end of the month.  I figured 1) It's a 5k so I can "train" without the huge commitment of longer distance races 2) It's cheap and local so there are no additional costs to travel 3) I don't have a real 5k PR anyway 4) Our spring vacation is the week after and we're going to Belize, so even if I'm not excited about a 5k I am excited about a Caribbean vacation, bikini and all.

I emailed my running buddy Kelly and noticed that I was using a lot of quotations: "long run" "speedwork" "base building" "run".  All of these things are relative and when you're pretty much starting from scratch, it's a little humbling at what is considered "long".  I think 2010 Sam would kick my ass if she knew the kind of shape I'm in now.  But I shouldn't be running from Ghosts of Races Past.  That's a race I know I won't win.

2 comments:

Christi said...

Wow, Belize! I am jealous. That is on our list of trips that we must do in the future. I hope you have a great time.

I, too, am in a funk but I have been suffering from that for a long time now. I wish you the best in overcoming yours!

Sam said...

Congrats on signing up for the 5k. Try not to stress too much, just enjoy getting back into doing "whatever" you enjoy.

You are a great athlete and remember..try to keep perspective of speed, "long". You'll get there again!!

Happiest 2012 to you!