9.20.2011

Another week closer

Austin is about a month away and so far I'd say I'm having the best training cycle ever.  I knocked out 8x400 intervals this weekend, all at a 6:30 pace.  The rain kept me on the trainer inside, but I did 2:45 on the trainer and followed that with 4 miles at an 8:30 pace.  It was a good weekend.

Tonight I did 11 and while I felt great this weekend, my legs are definitely feeling the accumulated fatigue of the last few weeks.  I did 8:30 until mile 6 but my time fell off quickly after that.  My quads were heavy, my hamstrings were tight, and my calves were stiff.  But I stuck it out and did the full 11.  I might need to take it a little easy as a recover weekend.  I know I should, I'm about 4 weeks out, so it would be the perfect time for a little recovery before my last two big weeks.  I just hate taking recovery weeks.  They make me...squirrelly.

The gluten-free experience is still going well.  John and I have been eating gluten-free most of the weekend and we've both noticed a difference.  This just might be the silver bullet to ending my major GI distress issues.  I'm no expert, but if you're prone to GI issues when working out, you should seriously consider trying a gluten free diet the day before a big race or training run.  It can't hurt right?  My fingers are crossed this keeps up!

No comments: