1.25.2011

Protein Muffin V1

I know, I know, I'm a little late on this one. I made these yesterday but didn't have time to put up the recipe.

This recipe I got from Triathlete magazine but I didn't make the recipe exactly as specified. It called for pumpkin, yogurt, cinnamon applesauce, bananas, peanut butter, blueberries and honey. Optional was walnuts, crasins, and coconut. That was way too many conflicting flavors in one recipe for me.

And I somehow managed to lose the recipe, but here's what I remember:
1 1/2 c oat bran
1/2 c Greek yogurt
1/2 c pumpkin
1/2 c unsweetened cinnamon applesauce
1 T PB
1 c egg whites
1 banana, sliced
1 c blueberries

I added 1/2 c ground flax seed and 1 T chia seed. I eliminated the blueberries and applesauce and doubled the pumpkin, yogurt, and peanut butter. I also added a tsp of baking powder to try to get them to rise.

They turned out pretty good, but I think I can do better. For all the ingredients, they didn't have a ton of flavor. I'm going to make them again, but I think I'm going to mix all the dry ingredients in a food processor so it has a finer texture. I'm also going to try beating the egg whites and then folding them in, so lighten the texture. I think they could use another banana and possibly a little more peanut butter. I also wouldn't mix the chia seed it, instead I might sprinkle the tops before they go in the oven. Chia seed in any amount of moisture turns...gelatinous. I probably shouldn't have added them in.

1 comment:

Christi said...

Way to experiment with recipes. I am always a chicken!