7.20.2010

Hot Hot Hot!

Oh man, summer is here in full force! It had been in the mid- to upper-90s, high humidity and heat indices in the 100s. Phew! I'm sweating just thinking about it!

The good thing about the heat is that it has inspired me to get back in the pool. It's just too darn hot after work for much else. My morning runs with KM have been miserable, even at 5:15 in the morning. The only bright spot was my weekend brick with MO and one of the Jaybirds. We did 40 miles and then ran two. I felt fantastic during the ride. The run was a little sticky and in full sun, no one really wanted any more than 2 miles.

Between the heat and thunderstorms, it's been a little hard to get consistently good workouts in. I was going to swim tonight, but the lightning flashing in the skylights is telling me to keep my butt inside tonight. I needed a rest day anyway. I actually had a good weekend, 40 mile ride/2 mile run Saturday morning, and an evening 5k race Saturday night followed by WAY too much cheap beer (but it was cold! I mean really, really cold!). Actually, even though I was just running for fun with yet another Jaybird, I ended up 15th in my AG out of 170+ and she was 10th in her AG. Not bad for wanting to puke the entire last mile! Then a 20 mile ride on Sunday and 5 miles of "speed work" Monday morning. I use the term speed work here very generously.

I should probably take advantage of being forced indoors to *finally* put my training plan on paper. One of these days, I swear I am going to seriously train for a race and see what I can do. Until then, I think I'm getting pretty good at faking it! Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all about faking it! Think I'm gonna run Lunar Trek 50k this weekend as a training run, despite the fact that my mileage has been pathetic lately. Gotta get ready for Heartland!

Christi said...

Sounds like faking it is working for you! Congrats to you and your jaybird friend for your age group placings!!!